I will pass this information along to my client. If we purchase the pro version and for some reason we run into the same issue, will you refund our purchase? Because at that point I'm sure we will decide to remove the frontend posting feature.
I understand you have a policy, but I'm asking for some flexibility.
The demo is of no matter to me because you are not using the same theme as I am – and it seems the theme is the conflict, at least with the free version. The other issue is that we are using a number of other plugins, and any of them could potentially be conflicting with the UFEP plugin.
I know you're saying you'll fix it if there is a problem, but I think the problem lies in a conflict between UFEP and either our theme or another plugin. And if thats the case, you will not be able to fix it and we'll have wasted $49.
Is there any way I can test for 24 hours on the site where its actually going to be installed and see if there is a conflict? Or you can test it? I've already created an admin account for you to go in and test it if you want?