June 23, 2014 at 5:54 pm 22336
|Nizam Uddin||Hi there, I bought your great plugin, but it seems I’ve stumbled upon a recurring problem. I’ve moved my site from city-link.dk to city-link.org, and now I’m getting: “WP User Frontend Error: Pleae activate your copy”. Can you please help me here? Suggestion: Give users the ability to deactivate and reactivate license?? Best, Jan Krogh|
June 23, 2014 at 5:57 pm 22337
I just deactivated your license! Please try now. thank you..
July 2, 2014 at 11:19 pm 22795
I am having the same problem. I’ve posted to this forum before about this very issue a couple of weeks ago but received no response. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
July 3, 2014 at 12:16 am 22799
@Girard I see you’ve already used in another site and now it’s activated on *meline.com. In which domain you are facing the problem?
July 3, 2014 at 2:09 am 22811
Thanks so much for responding! I need to remove the plugin from *meline.com and add it to the other site.
July 5, 2014 at 5:39 pm 22976
July 5, 2014 at 7:02 pm 22981
Thank you, Sekander but I was not aware of you all deactivating my license TWICE; I’ve only asked you to do it once (at the top of June in another forum thread but I never received a response). Spending money on a product of quality such as your plugin is not an issue for me but your customer service is. It took quite awhile to get a response from support about this so I purchased another product as a solution. Thanks again for your assistance and I apologize for any misunderstanding.
July 6, 2014 at 10:24 am 23035
Later you activated it in *meline.com . In current thread you are claiming that you didn’t get response and