Marketing Calendars are tough! Not to mention a complete year-long one that actually works.
Truth is – it's not always possible to start and stay on the successful track. The most common reason for it is that not everyone has the necessary road map they need.
This is why having a sound plan for both marketing and execution is very important for anyone who wants to start an eCommerce business.
So where are we going with all this? For our readers, we tried putting together something that is bound to get you results (from our own experience).
- 12-month plan for a successful business powered by WordPress
- Latest stats on why they are important and how actually work
- A FREE Downloadable 12-Month WooCommerce Marketing Calendar
If You had any aspirations of becoming an online marketplace owner it's never been better than now.
The future of eCommerce is taking shape right before our own eyes. As global internet access and adoption rapidly increase, with over five billion internet users worldwide, the number of people making purchases online is ever-increasing. As a result, it is projected that sales from retail eCommerce will increase to $7.528 trillion in 2025.
Those are some really big numbers! So it's best to start as early as possible.
Trust Us! You Really Need A Complete Marketing Plan for WooCommerce Stores or Marketplaces
Bringing value to the readers is our number one priority when creating content. A marketing calendar for an eCommerce platform takes up a lot of your time. You have to try a lot of things before figuring out the right formula.
So, it came to our minds why not share a solid plan showcasing what actually works and what doesn't?
Let's not waste any more time.
- January: Focus on building your base
- February: Generate traffic from content marketing
- March: Step up your social game
- April: Attract customers using promos
- May: Start email campaign and influencer marketing
- June: Review previous results & optimize
- July: Strategize for more traffic
- August: Plan for major holidays
- September: Look for affiliate partnerships
- October: Focus on better CPC
- November: Brainstorm for growth hacking & improve landing page
- December: Lead with viral contents
Why Would You Need A WooCommerce Marketing Calendar Anyway?
In this blog, we tried to mainly put together a complete 12-month plan on how you can use Dokan & WooCommerce to get your dream eCommerce site started.
Concentrating on each month about what you should do individually.
Think of it as a WooCommerce store marketing plan for 2023.
Not theories that we just wrote at the moment but rather tried and tested processes from our own experiences.
1. January: Focus on Building Your Base
You are just starting out. Full of energy, full of excitement for the future. This can get a little daunting we know, so stick with us.
You have to remember that your WooCommerce store is your battleground. So being prepared to analyze everything is a good strategy to have. Some simple basics you should always have covered are
- Hiring the right people: It can be one of the key factors in your WooCommerce business success. A team that has a better understanding of each other and works towards a single goal usually beats the team with superstars in it.
- A Proper Focus Point: This is the most important part of this conversation. You won't be able to achieve it all. You have to prioritize what exactly where you want to see your business reach that is feasible. And plan accordingly.
- Setting up Opt-in, Social Profiles & Their Pixels, and Conversion Trackers: To keep a record of people who interacted with your store, it is essential that you set these things up first. Opt-ins for building an email subscriber list, social media business profiles on Facebook, Twitter, and Pinterest social media pixels for ad targeting/retargeting, and setting up email automation services like MailChimp, Aweber, etc for email marketing campaigns. Some plugins that can significantly help you are –
Contact Form builders like Contact Form 7 for making forms that attract the attention of your visitor.
Some kind of conversion tracker that keeps data of who interacted with your store and from which platform. Similar to WooCommerce Conversion Tracking (a free tool) so you can target them at a later time for marketing purposes.
Email campaign plugins like MailPoet is a great tool for beginners when starting out.
2. February: Generate Traffic From Content Marketing
You are starting to get visitors to your website. Congrats!
Now comes the part to retain them. Generating good, valuable, helpful content can be a great way to make your visitors loyal. Start by thinking about what you can do that would be beneficial for them, both in their personal and business life.
Create a separate blog page where you not only talk about only your business but also other things related to your industry. Produce video content for YouTube, and Facebook (which is a great way for organic traffic). Some tips that can be helpful:
- Follow what your competitors are creating as content inspiration
- Make contents as valuable as possible for the other end
- Be aware of what the industry is scaling to be good content
- Share content on multiple social channels for maximum reach
But it's imperative that you do it on a regular basis. You never know when and what might click with your audience.
Also some other beneficiary things you can do alongside these tasks
- Create blog posts by doing proper SEO research
- Analyze what type of content the market is in need of and deliver it properly
Related Article: Content Marketing Tactics That’ll Skyrocket Your Search Traffic
3. March: Step Up Your Social Game
There are approximately 3.4 billion active social media users worldwide with an average of 135 minutes spent on social media every day by the global internet users.[Source]
This time you need to create a strong presence in the social media communities relevant to your business. Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Pinterest are great sources of traffic. They are also free. You just need to create an account to get started. Though there are some best practices you need to follow when interacting with the end-user on platforms like these
- A clear understanding of what kind of image you want your content consumers to have about your brand
- Have the proper tools to measure Social Media ROI from the get and set them up correctly[Ex: Setting up UTM tracking codes, using built-in analytics of these channels]
- Proper knowledge about what to measure, how, and why
- Treating these platforms not only as a distribution method rather brand/reputation-building platforms.
- Interacting with your fans across all social channels for more organic reach.
- Giving proper budget to paid options on social media. It will take some time to see the results but you should always have a long-term plan if you are in the eCommerce business.
Related Article: Growth Hacks To Evolve Your Startups Using Social Media
4. April: Attract Customers Using Promos
Your business will start to see some tractions now. Now comes the time to offer lucrative promo deals like discount coupons, free products campaign with purchases etc.
But don't just offer promotional deals and sit back to see the results. You have to let people know what they are missing. Things you can do:
- Start a Google AdWords campaign to promote your deals on Google platforms. Consider a sufficient budget and wait a little while to see your expected result(you will get them eventually)
- Retarget your fans from social media(like Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, etc) across multiple channels
- Use the data you got from plugins like WooCommerce Conversion Tracking to target potential customers who interacted with your website
5. May: Start Email Campaigns & Influencer Marketing
Email marketing has taken a boom in 2022 with an estimation that 246 billion emails have been sent in total.
This is by no mistake because email marketing still provides the best bang for your buck. The depth of communication you can get using personalized emails is still the best in the business. Latest reports show that email marketing shows 76% make a purchase from an email. Here are some tips you should always follow to have the best results
- Make your emails as mobile-friendly as possible. As the usage of smartphones is rising at a greater rate than ever before it just makes sense to be mobile-friendly.
- Personalize your emails as much as possible. Doing this will make your customer feel valued.
- Differentiate your subscribers by age, location, industry, sales cycle, etc so you will have a better understanding of what to send to who. This lets you avoid spam emails that you might have sent to those who are not interested.
- Test, test, test! Don't just restrict yourself to A/B testing go as much C/D/E/F
Other than email you can also look towards influencer marketing to get a boost for your eCommerce business. Influencer/KOL marketing is simply put – “Promoting your business through someone's channels on social media who have a large amount of attention”
Related Article: How to Create a Successful Influencer Marketing Campaign
6. June: Review Previous Results & Optimize
You should start seeing results now! But don't take anything for granted yet. You need to analyze what your previous results are trying to tell you. Learn from your mistakes and see what you can do better.
Use advanced analytics like Google Analytics(which is FREE) to see where most of your content consumers are coming from, their demographics, age, behavior, traits, etc. Use this in-depth knowledge to see how you can optimize your main landing pages, and child pages to see better growth for your WooCommerce business.
7. July: Strategize For More Traffic
The holidays are in sight now. It's time to gear up for how much you are going to bring value to your customers. Offering different discounts can be really beneficial in bringing more traffic and brand awareness.
The most important holiday you can look for in this period – is the 4th of July. People at this time will be looking for offers that will be lucrative for them.
Some strategies you can follow
- Offer discount coupons/prices for your products
- Start a FREE with every purchase promotion on all/multiple products
- Track your previous offer results to optimize how you can get the best out of investment this time
8. August: Start Planning For Major Holidays
You got the results in hand and they are looking promising. But it's not time yet to stop. The holiday seasons are only just beginning. Use the CALENDER that we gave you to map out which major holidays are most relevant to your business and how you can use those occasions. Sales go through the roof during the holiday season.
You have to maximize your efforts to get the most out of your efforts. Look out for prominent holidays you need to concentrate on the most like Black Friday, Cyber Monday, Thanksgiving, etc.
It is never too late to plan early
Related Article: Your Guide To Preparing A Great Holiday Marketing Plan
9. September: Look For Affiliate Partnerships
People are becoming really interested in your products. Now to grow your WooCommerce business even further you can start affiliate partnerships. Look for people who are interested in earning some money from your products. You can even offer some really good compensation if they successfully do it.
- Rather than looking for an affiliate partnership, create a section of your main landing page for affiliates.
- Review who you are doing affiliate with. It is directly related to your brand reputation.
- Offer a lucrative percentage so more affiliate marketers will be interested to be in a partnership with you.
Related Articles: Affiliate Marketing Hacks You Must Know Before You Start!
10. October: Focus On Better CPC
Time for you to spread the word that you have a WooCommerce store and it is giving the best value for money out there. To do that you need to find sources that can generate more traffic than you are getting right now. Analyze the previous results that you got from Google AdWords, Perfect Audience, etc, and focus on what can be improved.
- Analyze and reanalyze your previous data to see what areas need improvement from your side
- Update old Ad copies that are performing worst & take hints from the ones that are doing good.
11. November: Brainstorm For Growth Hacks & Improve Landing Page Conversion Rates
Your team is starting to work together toward a single goal. As previously mentioned
A team that better understand each others weakness and strengths tends to always beat the team that has superstars in it but no team work
Create a brainstorming session with your team who knows the ins & out of business because they have experienced it first hand from the start. Some little growth hacking ideas might come out of this session that won't seem so little later on.
And also you have to start preparing your landing page for the holiday season. Your website is your second home. Treat your visitors the same way you would treat a guest in your house. A neat trick you can use is using plugins that will add a simple holiday touch to your site like snowfall effect, Christmas lights, Santa Claus banner, etc.
Related Article: Proven Ways to Boost Your eCommerce Sales
12. December: Lead With Viral Contests
It seems viral content is what the rage is all about in today's content marketing world.
Though it seems obvious, it is given that viral marketing of content is one of the greatest way to attain the attention of your customers.
Everybody loves free stuff. Start a giveaway and start to see your traffic spike through the roof. Or be creative and think of something unique like interactive quiz marketing with prizes, a contest for premium products, share to win, and so on.
There are some things that should always be followed throughout your WooCommerce journey.
- Always analyze and reanalyze the data from your investments
- Look at what your competitors are doing and what they are lacking
- Planning is the most important and crucial part. So, you need to spend more time on planning than on execution
- Never stop learning
- Don't be frustrated by the lack of results. Remember that it takes time & hard work to build something sustainable
Conclusion on WooCommerce Marketing Calendar
This a simple yet effective road map to guide you in your WooCommerce journey.
You can rest assured that these are effective strategies, not just theories
Though many unforeseen obstacles will come that you have to deal with on the fly. If it doesn't produce the results that wanted move on to the next milestone.
Remember to stay patient and trust your journey. You will get there eventually!